Thursday, April 11, 2013

Trying Something New

I've been taking a class online and the instructor mentioned using V-flats as backgrounds and she said you could always make your own out of insulation boards.
I decided this sounded like it would be a fun project to try for my Mother/Daughter session that weekend, so I did a bit of shopping.
I purchased some pretty paints including some pretty faux finish ones.
And then I choose some polystyrene boards.
I liked the concept of the 3/4" board, but found that with any bit of breeze it wanted to get away from us, and the 1" ones ended up being my favorites.
Removing the Foil
I had to remove the foil on one side, and will have to do another coat of paint on it, as some of the metal flecks were still visible after my first coat.
(Even with the all-in-one paint/primer combo.)
I painted right over the plastic and blue wording on the other side without any problem.
Milk Paint
The black paint was some milk paint I found in our shed. I loved the deep coal black color it produced.
Here are the colors before I put the green faux finish on the tan board and used a stipple brush and metallic finish on the rose one.
The other sides are now a lovely winter's day blue, tadpole green, and popcorn white.
They even managed to dry before my session!
~ Stay tuned to see them in action. ~


  1. I think I took the same workshop can't wait to see how your session turns out.

  2. This looks so very interesting! Can't wait to see what you do with them. Something amazing, I'm sure! :-)